Sunday, February 22, 2009

Anyone know how to open a .DBX file? (A thrilling title huh?)

I have a techy problem, and being super non-techy I have no clue how to solve it.
Back in 2006 I used a pc, and one day a guy online (who I am no longer in touch with) advised me to back up my mail for some reason, (can't recall why), and talked me thru how. So I did, and created a mail backup cd. Forgot all about it. Moved from London to Sussex, PC kaputt, didn't care, bought a MacBook.

(I heart my MacBook.)
Bought my twins a PC so they can use the same system at home as they do at school. PC uses windows xp. Outlook Express has been replaced by Windows Live apparently.
Who cares? Well...I didn't until yesterday when I had a day off work and the sun was shining, a cool breeze was wafting thru the open window, and I felt a spring clean was in order.

Matt and I had a long history of emailing back and forth, and when he died I kept thinking how sad it was that I had lost so many of his emails. He was the best letter writer/correspondent/emailer ever. He wrote lengthy, hilarious diatribes, rants, and thoughts. He offered support and advice, punned admirably, and rocked y'know. So when I found this cd from 2006 my heart swelled, and I felt excited, upset, scared, anxious all at the same time. I put it in the PC but the fucking thing won't open. I can't get it open. I don't understand.

Apparently .DBX files need opening with something, but what? The link that it takes me to makes zero sense to me. I am googling and I can't tell the difference between a rip off, a virus, and a legitimate device. Nothing is clear to me. Does anyone have any idea what I should do please?

To clarify, I have a CD that contains .DBX files, it shows up when I put it in but the files can't be read. I no longer have outlook express as the PC operates Windows XP, so the mail programme is windows live mail.

4 comments:

Matt Bell said...

There are a bunch of shareware programs here that might help:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/free-open-_dbx.html

I've never used any of these, and wouldn't have a clue which is best. But some will have free trials, and get you pointed in the right direction hopefully. Shoot me an e-mail if you need more help-- I'd be more than willing to try and figure it out.

Matt Bell said...

And a PC using XP should still have outlook express, but I'm not sure how easy those are to re-import, in any case.

Matt Bell said...

This one's free, so maybe try it first:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Backup_and_Copy_Utilities/Power_Email_Recovery_for_Outlook_Express.html

Unknown said...

Matt Bell = superstar!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It worked a treat. I can't believe it really and am a big emotional mush. I have no idea why I ever did this back up, but oh boy I am so glad I did. There are over 100 lengthy emails from Matt, all pre-cancer, all so full of wit, care and sarcasm, all the things that made him uniquely him. I feel like I just got a piece of him back.

Thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it.

X

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck My Lolly