Monday, March 12, 2007

3 for 2's

If you went into a bookshop and they offered you a free book from a selection of 150 assorted titles you'd take one right? Who wouldn't? I simply can't conceive of not being pleased to get a free book. Every single day at work someone will come to the counter and I will kindly inform them that as 2 of the books they are purchasing are part of our 3 for 2 offer they are entitled to select a free book. Sometimes they will be happy, they will thank me for telling them, we will smile, I will patiently put their other book choices to one side as they take the time to enjoy choosing a book FOR FREE. Sometimes they will be a bit startled, they feel forced into making an on the spot decision. In that case I reassure them that they can take their time and it's not any problem at all. Sometimes they say they don't know what to pick, I will happily advise them, find out what they like and suggest one. But sometimes they say
"I don't want one."
And I just don't get it. Surely, even if they are the kind of person who only buys 2 books a year and doesn't even read them, they must have a friend or family member or someone who they could give a book to as a gift. It would cost them nothing. Grr. I am very broke at the moment, and there are several books in the current offer that I really want to read, what if I scanned them through as the third book and kept them. That would be cool. I assume however that it is WRONG to do such a thing, so of course won't. I like my job, I aim to keep it so will continue to silently curse at the people who don't want a FREE BOOK.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Maybe they've spent long enough selecting two and the thought of looking for another that they'd like is a bit daunting.

I suggest that you make them feel good by suggesting that they donate the third book to a charity. You take delivery of the charity book and read it on the way to Oxfam. Honour is satisfied.

Jeremiah

Vanessa Gebbie said...

or even suggest, if they don't want one, could you have it instead?

I bet they'd soon rush off to stop you taking 'their' book!

Aren't people wierd?

vanessa

Unknown said...

Absolutely nothing to do with the subject - I came into 'the shop' to meet you last week 'cos I worked out where it was and was feeling strangely sociable (for me, any kind of sociable is strange) ... and they said you weren't there. I think you were hiding from the mad writing woman, personally.

Unknown said...

Oh! Hello Kay. I can assure you that I wasn't hiding from you! I do however only work Saturday's at the moment. If you are ever feeling sociable again please do drop in.

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck My Lolly