Monday, March 22, 2010

Not really a review...

I said that I would review "AN A-Z of possible worlds" by A.C Tillyer aaaaaages ago. I have put it off and put it off because the truth is I wanted to love it so very much but I don't and I didn't want to say that.


It looks beautiful and utterly unique. I am a huge McSweeney's fan and the presentation of these stories put me in mind of the care and attention that McSweeney's publications have. It comes in a red box embossed in gold with the letters of the alphabet. Each story has it's own wee booklet and it is just gorgeous.

See

Roast Books have done a wonderful thing here, and I am excited to see what else they do in the future. Their website is very interesting - looky looky!

So, hurray for Roast Books, hurray for publishers that take chances and produce works of such fabiosity, I am only sorry that an A-Z really didn't do it for me. I love the concept but found the stories to be more tell than show, and they all seemed to share the same rather dry voice. I am entirely prepared to say that may just be personal preference as there seem to be plenty o' rave reviews around the blogosphere. I think also that the price is a large one to pay to take a chance: when I pay £20 for a McSweeney's it's a lucky dip of writers, some I will like, others I won't and I can just flip on to the next, here Ms Tillyer's is the only voice on offer so...

Eep. Sorry.

3 comments:

annie clarkson said...

oh I know what you mean about feeling the need to say sorry for not liking a book, but it's good to be honest, so I like your not really a review for its honesty, and giving the good points, but saying ultimately that it didn't work for you...

Tania Hershman said...

As a reviewer, I appreciate your honesty - as an author I know that honesty can sting (I recently found a new Amazon review of my book where she said it didn't do anything for her at all) but ultimately I appreciate it as an author too! Better than false praise. Reviewing and books are subjective, thank goodness, or it would be a very boring place to be!

Unknown said...

Thanks Annie and Tania. I still feel awkward about this, but hey, I was asked to give my opinion, and that's all it is, right?

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck My Lolly