Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Link love

Two very different interviews and approaches - both enormously comforting to read -

David Vann at Helen Heath (Thanks to Emma Martin for drawing my attention to this.)

and

Jennifer Egan at Speakeasy

Highlights for me are pretty much everything Vann says, and this from Egan :


I haven’t had trouble with writer’s block. I think it’s because my process involves writing very badly. My first drafts are filled with lurching, clichéd writing, outright flailing around. Writing that doesn’t have a good voice or any voice. But then there will be good moments. It seems writer’s block is often a dislike of writing badly and waiting for writing better to happen.



6 comments:

Ethel Rohan said...

Love these links, thanks Sara.

Helen said...

Thanks for linking through to my blog, nice to 'meet' you :)

Unknown said...

A very nice statement. I think there's a lot of simple truth in it.
Nahno ∗ McLein

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

The first interview was great, really full of good stuff, well written and real. Thanks! ciao cat

Unknown said...

They're very good aren’t they, Ethel. Comforting too.

Helen - nice to *meet* you too. Very cool interview, thanks.

Hello to The Divorced Lady! I thought it was chock full of goodness.

Unknown said...

Sorry, Nahno McLein - hello! I didn’t mean to miss you out! Yes, simple truth - can't beat it :)

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck My Lolly