Sunday, April 08, 2007

Barenaked Ladies at the Brighton Dome

When they came on stage I smiled, I continued to smile throughout the evening, realising after that I am such a po faced gal these days it's rare for me to feel such contentment.
What's not to love? They display consummate musicianship. Their songs are shiny sing-a-longy witty slices of pop rock. They are clever and caustic yet warm and wonderful. The on-stage banter between Ed and Steve is funnier than most comedians can manage, the harmonies shimmer, Steve's dancing is amazing. They free styled a great rap about a ride on Brighton pier. Watching them is like watching friends that you adore, people that "get" you. I can so easily imagine being their chum, I assume that most of their fan base think the same.
Oh, and great puns. I only just worked out that their recent albums "BNL are me", and "BNL are men" pun into BNL army and BNL amen. Ha ha ha ha.
They ended with Steven Pages enormous voice soaring into "Midnight, not a sound from the ..." tossing off the classic musical number so effortlessly, just because, y'know, he can.
They make their talent look easy, I know that it is not. There have been many years of honing their craft, tears and pain and depression and struggle, success and glittering accolades followed by perceived failure. Throughout they have carried on, working through, shining, trying. They have their own independent label and are constantly looking for new ways of reaching their fans. They held a successful cruise this year "Ships and dips", they are repeating it in January (fuck, I'd love to go on it...) they make USB sticks of each performance available straight after the concert, downloads of each show are also available online. Far as I am concerned they are awesomeness personified. AND they have a double bass player. Enough said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck My Lolly