Sunday, May 05, 2013

Julian Barnes - Levels of Life




Divided into sections entitled The Sin of Height, On the Level and The Loss of Depth, this is Barnes on death. I was going to write "having lost his wife to cancer" but know now how much he would hate that woolly sounding phrase, so - Barne's wife Pat Kavanagh died four years ago after being with him for thirty years, and this book is an exploration of loss.

I'm not even going to attempt to write a review, I'm just going to say that Barnes is a superb writer, and this stunning book should be read by everyone. Here in clear, precise prose is the truth of the griefstruck. Essential.

2 comments:

Rachel Fenton said...

Best recommendation I've read for it, too.

Unknown said...

Cheers, Rachel.

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck My Lolly